Tuesday, July 30, 2024

 another example of israeli treatment of palestinians that fully displays a part of israeli crimes;


Iyad Awad was adamant that he must look after his mother.

In May, Israel dropped leaflets on Jabaliya refugee camp, northern Gaza, demanding that its residents leave.

Iyad helped members of his family to evacuate. But he remained at home with his mother, who had Alzheimer’s disease.

“When the [Israeli] army entered the house, they asked me why I did not leave,” he said. “I told them that I was with my sick mother and we could not go anywhere.”

An Israeli soldier then instructed Iyad to accompany him as the invading troops conducted a search of the multi-story building where Iyad lived.

The troops handcuffed Iyad.

“I told them that my mother needed someone to take care of her,” he said. “A soldier told me that he would bring me back to her.”

After hours of being away from his mother, Iyad walked a few steps. The Israelis shot him in the side of his body.

He was taken to hospital, where he underwent surgery.

Following the operation, Iyad was brought to Sde Teiman, a military camp in the Naqab desert.

The conditions there were unsanitary.

“There were more than 30 of us using one bathroom that was only cleaned once a week,” he said.

During approximately 70 days of detention, “I could not shower, cut my nails or change my clothes.”

“The quality of the food was very poor,” he added. “They would bring us a piece of toast with jam.”

Despite having been wounded, Iyad did not receive any medical care in the military camp. Apart from paracetamol, he was not given any medicine.

“I slept on the floor,” he said. “There was no mattress or bed.

“The temperatures were very high. It was as if you were lying on a hot plate.”

When Iyad was eventually released, he learned that his mother had been left to die.

“The neighbors found her dead on the bed” after Israeli troops had withdrawn from Jabaliya, he said.

As they had been unable to make contact with him, other members of Iyad’s family had assumed he had been killed.

“They were surprised when I got out of prison that I was alive,” he said..........more........

No comments:

Post a Comment