Friday, January 4, 2019

this intro bit comes from the middle of the article and i think makes much clear for those who's vision is a bit muddy;


Ever since I was kid, I have heard people exclaim, “How could the German people have supported Hitler?” The answer is a simple one: Many Germans, like many American conservatives today, embraced the great man theory of governance. In their minds, Hitler was a great man, a veteran and a patriot who Germany was fortunate, they said, to have serving as their leader.
To make Germany great again, after the devastation of World War I, all that Germans had to do was empower Hitler to do whatever was necessary to make Germany great again. That’s what the Enabling Act was all about , along with Hitler’s wars on communism and terrorism. The job of the citizenry, the Hitlerites said, was to unconditionally and loyally support their leader.
Now, before Trumpsters write to me and complain that I am comparing Trump to Hitler, let me make it perfectly clear that I am not doing that. Instead, I am comparing Trump’s followers to Hitler’s followers, both of whom were and are believers in the great man theory of governance. That’s why Hitler’s followers were as fiercely supportive of him as Trump’s followers are of Trump........https://www.fff.org/2019/01/03/the-great-man-theory-of-governance/

No comments:

Post a Comment